Today is Sunday, May 26, 2019
- In Manhattan Beach, NY, the first American intercollegiate bicycle race was held.
- Walt Cruise hit the first home run out of Braves Field.
- The first Le Mans Grand Prix d'Endurance began. The race was won by Andre Lagache and Rene Leonard. The race ended the next day.
- Ty Cobb became the first major league baseball player to collect 1,000 extra-base hits.
- Steve Carlton (Philadelphia Phillies) became the first National League player to record 6 1-hitters.
- The Edmonton Oilers won their fourth NHL Stanley Cup in five seasons. They swept the series 4 games to 0 against the Boston Bruins.
- The Philadelphia Phillies retired Mike Schmidt's number 20.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939