Today is Wednesday, October 23, 2019
- J.K. Scott won the first miniature golf tournament. The event was held in Chattanooga, TN.
- The Brooklyn Dodgers signed Jackie Robinson.
- Bryan Trottier (New York Islanders) broke an NHL record when he scored six points in one period.
- Dan Marino (Miami Dolphins) passed for 521 yards, three touchdowns and completed 35 of 60 against the New York Jets. It was considered the single-best passing day in NFL history.
- Joe Carter (Toronto Blue Jays) became only the second player to end the World Series with a homerun.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs set an NHL record when they won their ninth straight game at the start of the season.
- The civil trial of O.J. Simpson opened in Santa Monica, CA. Simpson was later found liable in the deaths of his ex-wife, Nicole and her friend, Ronald Goldman.
- Mark Messier (Vancouver Canucks) became only the 10th player in NHL history to reach 600 career goals.
- Brett Hull (Detroit Red Wings) got his 1,250th career point.
- Peter Forsberg (Colorado Avalanche) scored his 200th career goal. He scored three goals in the Avalanche's 6-1 victory over the Edmonton Oilers.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939