Today is Sunday, October 17, 2021
- Willie Park won the first professional golf tournament to be held in Scotland.
- The New York Yankees won their 20th World Series when they beat the San Francisco Giants.
- The Detroit Lions set a rushing record when they achieved a negative fifty-three yards against the Chicago Cardinals.
- Bob Beamon long jumped 29 feet, 2 1/2 inches at the Olympic Games in Mexico.
- The New York Islanders began a streak of 23 undefeated games at home (15-0-8).
- Jari Kurri (Los Angeles Kings) scored his 500th goal in an 8-6 win over the Boston Bruins. Kuri was the 18th player to reach the mark.
- Patrick Roy (Colorado Avalanche) achieved his 448th victory as a goalie in the NHL. Roy passed Terry Sawchuck to become the record holder for career victories.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939