Today is Saturday, February 17, 2018
- Swimmer Johnny Weissmuller set a world record in the 100-yard freestyle. He did it with a time of 57-2/5 seconds in Miami, FL.
- Joe DiMaggio (New York Yankees) joined the U.S. Army as a voluntary inductee.
- Wilt Chamberlain (Philadelphia Warriors) scored 67 points against St. Louis.
- Wilt Chamberlain (Philadelphia Warriors) scored the first of an NBA record 35 consecutive goals without a miss.
- The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame opened in Springfield, MA.
- Jerry Sloan became the first player for the Chicago Bulls to have his number retired. He wore #4.
- Emmitt Smith (Dallas Cowboys) and owner Jerry Jones agreed that releasing Smith from the team was a "win-win situation." The formal announcement was made on February 27.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939
Would you like to put On-This-Day.com Sports content on your website?
Click here to get started.