Today is Sunday, May 19, 2019
- Cy Young (Cleveland Indians) got his 500th win.
- American League president Ban Johnson told the Detroit Tigers that if they continued to protest Ty Cobb suspension they would be banned from baseball.
- The Washington Senators played their first Sunday game. They beat Cleveland 1-0 in 18 innings.
- The National Football League (NFL) adopted an annual college draft to begin in 1936.
- Stan Musial set the National League hit record when he got his 3,431st hit.
- The Philadelphia Flyers became the first post-'67 expansion team to win the Stanley Cup. The Flyers won the cup the following season as well.
- The Edmonton Oilers won their first Stanley Cup. They defeated the New York Islanders in five games.
- The Boston Red Sox retired Bobby Doerr's #1.
- Willy T. Ribbs became the first black driver to make the Indianapolis 500.
- Jennifer Capriati checked into a drug rehab center.
- Roger Clemens (New York Yankees) got his 287th win. He tied for 22nd place on the all-time victory list.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939