Today is Monday, November 19, 2018
- Nolan Ryan (Houston Astros) signed a four-year contract for $4.5 million. At the time, Ryan was the highest paid player in major league baseball.
- Dwight Gooden (New York Mets), at 20 years old, became the youngest major league pitcher to be named Rookie of the Year in the National League.
- Patrick Ewing (New York Knicks) became the 23rd NBA player to pass the 20,000 point mark.
- Albert Belle signed a contract with the White Sox for a record $55 million. He was the first player to surpass the $10 million per year mark.
- Evel Knievel and Krystal Kennedy were married.
- Barry Bonds (San Francisco Giants) became the first baseball player to win four Most Valuable Player Awards.
- During a Detroit Pistons and Indian Pacers game a fight broke out involving fans and players. Several players were suspended and all involved were later charged with assault and battery.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939
Would you like to put On-This-Day.com Sports content on your website?
Click here to get started.