Today is Thursday, March 22, 2018
- The English Football League was established.
- In Northampton, MA, The first women's collegiate basketball game was played at Smith College.
- The first playoff competition for the Stanley Cup began. Montreal defeated Ottawa 3-1.
- A patent was issued for a "baseball catcher."
- Foster Hewitt used a telephone to broadcast the first hockey game. He called the game between Kitchner and Toronto Parkdale.
- The first Masters golf championship began in Augusta, GA.
- Ed Johnston (Boston Bruins) became the last goalie in NHL history to play every minute of every game for an entire season.
- Muhammad Ali was stripped of his heavyweight title for refusing to be inducted into the United States Army.
- UCLA beat Purdue to become the first college basketball team to win three straight NCAA titles.
- Peter Revson died in a crash during a practice run for the South Africa Grand Prix.
- The National Hockey League (NHL) voted to accept 4 WHA teams, the Oilers, Jets, Nordiques & Whalers.
- Cleveland Indians pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews were killed in a motor boat accident. Bobby Ojeda was also seriously injured.
- The NFL announced the addition of the two-point conversion. It was the league's first scoring change in 75 seasons.
- Tara Lipinski, at 14 years and 10 months, became the youngest women's world figure skating champion.
- Sergei Zubov (Dallas Stars) got his 400th career assist.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939
Would you like to put On-This-Day.com Sports content on your website?
Click here to get started.