Today is Monday, May 25, 2020
- Babe Ruth was suspended for one day and fined $200 for throwing dirt on an umpire.
- Babe Ruth hit his final homerun, his 714th, and set a record that would stand for 39 years. He hit three home runs in the game.
- Jesse Owens tied the world record for the 100-yard dash. He ran it in 9.4 seconds. He also broke three other world track records.
- Al Unser became the first Indianapolis 500 winner to be disqualified.
- Ferguson Jenkins became the 7th pitcher to strike out 3,000 batters.
- The Calgary Flames won their first NHL Stanley Cup by defeating the Montreal Canadiens.
- The NHL announced the sale of the Quebec Nordiques to COMSAT, who moved the team to Colorado.
- The Minnesota Twins retired Kirby Puckett's number.
- Todd and Mel Stottlemyre became the first father and son to win 100 baseball games.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939