Today is Saturday, July 20, 2019
- Brooklyn and New York played baseball at Fashion Park Race Course on Long Island, NY. The game marked the first time that admission was charged to see a ball game. It cost $.50 to get in and the players on the field did not receive a salary.
- The National Football League (NFL) ruled that no professional team could sign a player who had college eligibility remaining.
- The PGA championship changed from match play to stroke play.
- Carl Rosen's Chris Evert beat Miss Musket by 50 lengths in the winner-take-all match race at Hollywood Park.
- Ben Curtis, an unknown PGA Tour rookie in his first major championship, won the British Open.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939