Today is Sunday, November 18, 2018
- Philadelphia Phillies President William Cox was banned from baseball for betting on his team.
- Jackie Robinson (Brooklyn Dodgers) was named the National Leagues Most Valuable Player.
- Chuck Connors (Los Angeles Angels) became the first player to oppose the major league draft. Connors later became the star of the television show "The Rifleman."
- Sandy Koufax (Los Angeles Dodgers) announced his retirement from major league baseball.< ? was on 1119>
- Joe Theismann (Washington Redskins) broke his leg after being hit by Lawrence Taylor (New York Giants). The injury ended Theismann's 12 year NFL career.
- Chris Boniol (Dallas Cowboys) tied an NFL record when he kicked seven field goals against the Green Bay Packers.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays participated in their initial expansion draft.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939
Would you like to put On-This-Day.com Sports content on your website?
Click here to get started.