Today is Saturday, January 19, 2019
- The National Football League (NFL) bought the franchise of the New York Yankees from Ted Collins. The franchise was then awarded to a group in Dallas on January 24.
- Jesse Owens was named Illinois Athletic Commission secretary.
- The Canadian Football Council changed its name to the Canadian Football League.
- President Reagan pardoned George Steinbrenner. Steinbrenner was indicted on 14 criminal counts on April 5, 1974, then pleaded guilty to making illegal contributions to Nixon's re-election campaign and a felony charge of obstruction of justice on August 23.
- The Oakland A's unveiled a new elephant logo.
- The NHL Board of Governors approved the sale of the Winnipeg Jets, officially clearing the way for the team to move to Phoenix for the 1996-97 season.
- The NHL announced that the Winnipeg Jets could move to Phoenix.
- Ivan Rodriguez signed a deal with the Texas Rangers worth $6.65 million for one year.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939
Would you like to put On-This-Day.com Sports content on your website?
Click here to get started.