Today is Sunday, December 8, 2019
- Tom King of England defeated American John Heenan and became the first world heavyweight champion.
- Ron Hextall (Philadelphia Flyers) became the first goalie in NHL history to shoot and score a goal. His empty net goal made him only the second goalie to get credit for a goal in the NHL.
- In Los Angeles, 12 alternate jurors were chosen for the O.J. Simpson murder trial.
- Mario Lemieux announced to the Pittsburgh Penguins that he planned to return to the National Hockey League (NHL) as a player at age 35. He would be the first modern owner-player in U.S. pro sports.
- The Orlando Magic ended their 19-game losing streak by beating the Phoenix Suns 105-98.
- In Michigan, five Indiana Pacers and seven fans were charged for various crimes related to a fight that broke out during a Pacers-Pistons game on November 19.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939