Today is Saturday, April 21, 2018
- Genaral Cos arrived at San Jancinto with 500 reinforcement troops for the Mexican army.
- General Sam Houston defeated Santa Anna at the Battle of San Jacinto (near present-day Houston). This 18-minute battle decided the independence of Texas. Over 700 Mexican soldiers were allowed to surrender to the Texian army. Santa Anna was captured the next day.
- The Texas state legislature repealed the law authorizing the State Police. At least thirty-six State Police members became Texas Rangers.
- The Texas State Capitol in Austin opened to the public. Construction was not complete at the time of the opening.
- Frank Hamer enlisted in the Texas Rangers. He was successful in his assignment to track down the high-profile outlaws Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.
- The first group of internees arrived at the Kenedy Alien Detention Camp near Kenedy, Texas. The camp was converted into a prison of war camp on October 1, 1944.
- The Texas Rangers beat the Angels, 7-6, before a crowd of 20,105 in first game for the franchise at Arlington Stadium.
- The first episode of "Walker, Texas Ranger"
aired on CBS.
More facts about Texas
|Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas without eating a chicken-fried steak.|
- Larry McMurtry
Sign up for the Weekly Texas History Newsletter here.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Texas History.