Today is Saturday, November 25, 2017
- The first Texas Navy was established when the General Council authorized the purchase of four schooners. In June 1846 the Texas Navy ships were transferred to the United States Navy.
- The first steamship line of Texas, Morgan Lines, made its inaugural voyage to Galveston from New Orleans.
- Alexander Somervell's expedition left San Antonio. They captured Laredo on December 8.
- Texas relinquished one-third of its territory in exchange for $10 million from the U.S. to pay its public debts and settle border disputes.
- The first play-by-play broadcast of a football game was aired in College Station, TX, via an amateur radio station. The game was between the University of Texas and Texas A&M in Austin.
- Elvis Presley played at the Paladium Club in Houston, TX.
- In Port Arthur, TX, Elvis Presley gave his first performance after signing with RCA.
More facts about Texas
|Much blood has been shed; but the battle is over: it was but a small affair.|
- Mexican General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna after the fall of the Alamo
Sign up for the Weekly Texas History Newsletter here.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Texas History.