Today is Saturday, January 19, 2019
- The Red Rovers from Alabama arrived in Texas to join the Texas Revolution.
- A new form of money called "red backs" in denominations of $5, $10, $20, $100, and $500 was approved by Republic President Mirabeau B. Lamar.
- Janis Joplin was born in Port Arthur, TX.
- The National Football League (NFL) bought the franchise of the New York Yankees from Ted Collins. The franchise was then awarded to a group in Dallas on January 24.
- Ivan Rodriguez signed a deal with the Texas Rangers worth $6.65 million for one year.
- Rick Perry took office as Texas' first Republican lieutenant governor since Reconstruction.
- Texas officials demoted a warden and suspended three other prison workers in the wake of the escape of the "Texas 7."
- Jaramoir Jagr made his debut with the Dallas Stars in a game against the Phoenix Coyotes. He scored two goals and two assists in the game.
More facts about Texas
|In Texas, we have the death penalty, and we use it. That's right. If you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back.|
- Ron White, comedian
Sign up for the Weekly Texas History Newsletter here.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Texas History.