Today is Friday, August 17, 2018
- Major John Wesley Powell passed Sentinel Peak overlooking the Grand Canyon. His expedition had left Green River, WY, on May 24.
- In South Pass, WY, Esther Morris became the first female justice of the peace in the United States.
- The official order to abandon Fort Stambaugh was issued.
- The Hebgen Lake earthquake occurred in southwestern Montana. It was a 7.1 magnitude quake that caused a landslide that killed 28 people. The effects were felt in Idaho and about half of Wyoming. The Old Faithful Inn was damaged by the quake. Many of the thermal features at Yellowstone were disrupted including Old Faithful's average cycle.
- A military cargo plane crashed in Wyoming killing eight crewmembers and a Secret Service employee. The plane was carrying gear for U.S. President Clinton.
More facts about Wyoming
|"In and about the Grand Canyon the rocks are nearly tinged a brilliant yellow."|
- Captain Jones, who visited the Upper Yellowstone River in 1873
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Wyoming Daily History.