Today is Saturday, January 19, 2019
U.S. Civil War History
- Confederate General Robert Edward Lee was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia. Lee was commander of the Army of Northern Virginia for most of the Civil War.
- Georgia became the fifth state to secede from the Union.
- In southern Kentucky, Union General George Thomas defeated George Crittenden's confederate army at the Battle of Logan's Crossroads. The battle is also called Mill Springs or Beech Grove.
- Confederate General John Pegram and Hetty Cary were married. The ceremony was attended by nearly all of the high-ranking Confederates, including Jefferson Davis and his wife. On February 6, Pegram's body was returned to the same church after he was killed at the Battle of Dabney's Mill, Virginia.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in U.S. Civil War History .
Do you want to put U.S. Civil War History on your site?
U.S. Civil War Quotes
|"By some strange operation of magic I seem to have become the power of the land."|
- George McClellan spoke this self-appraisal shortly after he assumed command of the Union forces around Washington in 1861