Today is Saturday, July 4, 2020
U.S. Civil War History
- U.S. President Lincoln, in a speech to Congress, stated the war is..."a People's contest... a struggle for maintaining in the world, that form, and substance of government, whose leading object is, to elevate the condition of men..."
- The U.S. Congress authorized a call for 500,000 men.
- In Vicksburg, the Confederates surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant and the Army of the West after a six week siege. The Union victory brought control of the Mississippi River and split the Confederacy in two.
- General Lee began to withdraw his forces to Virginia. Lee did not threaten Northern territory again.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in U.S. Civil War History .
U.S. Civil War Quotes
|"A house divided against itself cannot stand."|
- Abraham Lincoln on June 16, 1858.