Today is Friday, December 4, 2020
- Baseball Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis announced that any club was free to employ black players.
- Major league baseball established a free-agent draft that would take effect in 1965.
- The NFL's 5,000th game was played.
- Tony Dorsett (Dallas Cowboys) rushed for 206 yards against the Philadelphia Eagles. He became only the third rookie to rush for more than 200 yards in a game.
- Kareem Abdul Jabaar's was held to only 7 points in a game establishing an NBA record of 787 straight games with double digit points.
- The National Basketball Association (NBA) suspended Latrell Sprewell of the Golden State Warriors for one year for choking and threatening to kill his coach, P.J. Carlesimo.
- John Elway (Denver Broncos) surpassed 3,000 yards for the season. It was his 12th consecutive season to pass for more than 3,000 yards.
- Barry Sanders (Detroit Lions) set an NFL record when he rushed for over 100 yards in 12 consecutive games.
- O.J. Simpson was involved in an incident with another motorist in Miami, FL. Simpson was accused of scratching the other motorists face while pulling off the man's glasses.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939