Today is Friday, May 14, 2021
- McGill University and Harvard met at Cambridge, MA, for the first college football game to charge admission.
- In St. Louis, the Olympic games were held. It was the first time for the games to be played in the U.S.
- The flagpole at the White Sox ballpark broke during the pennant-raising.
- Walter Johnson (Washington Senators) ended his scoreless streak of 56 innings.
- Stan Coveleski (Cleveland Indians) set a club record when he pitched 19 innings.
- Sunday baseball games were made legal in Washington, DC.
- Walter Johnson (Washington Senators) won his 300th game against Detroit.
- Mickey Mantle (New York Yankees) hit his 500th career home run.
- Willie Mays hit a home run in his first game as a New York Met.
- Rosa Mota set a female world record when she ran the 20k in 1 hour, 6 minutes and 55.5 seconds.
- Reggie Jackson hit his 537th home run. He passed Mickey Mantle to move into 6th place on the all-time list.
- Kirby Pucket hit his 6th consecutive double.
- Eddie Murray hit his 463rd career home run to tie for 18th on the all-time list.
- The Baseball Executive Council suspended New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.
- It was announced that Ken Hitchcock had signed a four-year contract to be head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939