Today is Sunday, January 23, 2022
- The National Archery Association was organized in Crawfordsville, IN.
- The Detroit Red Wings set record for the most goals, most consecutive goals and most points in a game. The Red Wings beat the New York Rangers 15-0 and had a total of 37 assists.
- NFL owners approved the unlimited substitution rule that had been used on a trial basis for 1949.
- The Detroit Red Wings ended a streak of 47 straight wins when leading after two periods. The streak started on November 21, 1964.
- Diana Ross performed the U.S. national anthem at Super Bowl XVI.
- O.J. Simpson became the first Heisman Trophy winner to be elected to pro football�s Hall of Fame in Canton, OH.
- At the Quaker State Open, Bob Benoit won a $100,000 bonus and became the first bowler to win a televised tournament by rolling a perfect 300 game.
- The NHL fined Theo Fleury (New York Rangers) $1,000 for making an obscene gesture to fans after a game the night before.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939