Today is Sunday, April 11, 2021
- In New York, umpire Bill Klem called a forfeit in favor of the Phillies when Giants fans disrupted play with snowballs.
- The first live sports event on radio took place this day on KDKA Radio. The event was a boxing match between Johnny Ray and Johnny Dundee.
- Andrew Ponzi set a world's record in a New York pocket billiards tournament when he ran 127 balls straight.
- Jackie Robinson became the first black player in major league baseball history. He played in an exhibition game for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- Emmett Ashford became the first African-American major league umpire.
- Gordie Howe played his final NHL game at 52 years and 10 days old.
- Spain's José María Olazábal won the 63rd Master golf tournament.
- In Johannesburg, South Africa, 43 people died during a stampede at a soccer match at Ellis Park stadium. Another 160 were injured.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939