Today is Saturday, June 19, 2021
- The New York Knickerbocker Club played the New York Club in the first baseball game at the Elysian Field, Hoboken, NJ. It was the first organized baseball game.
- In New York, the Belmont Stakes was run for the first time.
- Paul Waner (Boston Braves) became the third National League player to get 3,000 hits.
- The National Football League approved the merger of the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the anti-trust exemption that major league baseball uses was Constitutional. The court called upon the U.S. Congress to repeal the sport's special status.
- Pete Rose (Cincinnati Reds) got his 2,000-career-hit.
- Gordie Howe left the NHL to join his sons Mark and Marty in the WHA (World Hockey Association).
- University of Maryland basketball star Len Bias died of a cocaine-induced seizure.
- The Dallas Stars won their first NHL Stanley Cup by defeating the Buffalo Sabres in the third overtime of game six. The game actually ended on June 20th.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939