Today is Wednesday, August 5, 2020
- The first play-by-play broadcast of a baseball game was done by Harold Arlin. KDKA Radio in Pittsburgh, PA described the action between the Pirates and Philadelphia.
- For the first time two major league baseball clubs traded managers. Detroit traded Jimmy Dykes for Cleveland's Joe Gordon.
- Toronto’s Cliff Johnson set a major league baseball record by hitting the 19th pinch-hit home run in his career.
- Mark McGwire (St. Louis Cardinals) hit his 500th career homerun. He also set a record for the fewest at-bats to hit the 500 homerun mark.
- It was announced that 13 players had accepted 50-game suspensions for violation of MLB drug policies.
- Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig issued a 211-game supsension to Alex Rodriguez (New York Yankees) for possession of banned performance-enhancing drugs. The number of games was reduced to 162 by an arbitrator in January 2014.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Sports History.
|Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth|
- Lou Gehrig
July 4, 1939