Today is Saturday, July 4, 2020
- Agustus Chapman Allen was born New York. He and his brother John Kirby Allen founded the city of Houston, TX.
- The Texas Constitutional Convention voted to accept the United States annexation proposal. It then drafted an Annexation Ordinance and State Constitution to submit to the voters of Texas.
- The 28th star, representing Texas, was added to the United States flag.
- The St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway completed construction of its first 142 miles of track. The stretch was between Robstown to Brownsville.
- In West Texas, Fort Davis National Historic Site was established as part of the national park system. The site depicts the fort as it was in the 1880s.
- In Luckenbach, Texas, Willie Nelson's Fourth of July Picnic took place. The event drew thousands to a town that had a population of only three.
More facts about Texas
|I humble myself before God and there the list ends.|
- Sam Houston
Sign up for the Weekly Texas History Newsletter here.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Texas History.