Today is Tuesday, September 17, 2019
- On Salado Creek, near San Antonio, Texans under Mathew Caldwell defeated a Mexican force under Adrián Woll.
- Fifty-eight Texans under Captain Nicholas Dawson were slaughtered by an army of 500 Mexican irregular cavalrymen and their two cannons.
- Notable Texans, including Sam Houston, gathered at Monument Hill. The military cemetery was used to bury those killed at the Dawson Massacre and other conflicts.
- Andrew "Rube" Foster was born in Calvert, TX. He founded the Negro baseball leagues and was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1981.
- Crosbyton was chosen as the Crosby County seat.
More facts about Texas
|Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.|
- Sam Houston
Sign up for the Weekly Texas History Newsletter here.
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Texas History.