Today is Thursday, September 16, 2021
- Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costillo and several hundred of his parishioners seized the prison at Dolores, Mexico. This was the beginning of Mexico's struggle for independence from Spain.
- The Republic of Mexico officially declared September 16 its national Independence Day. This day has been celebrated annually in San Antonio and Goliad since 1810.
- At Perote Prison, Mexican officials released the remaining captives, 105 Texans, taken in the Dawson Massacre, the Mier expedition and the Texas Santa Fe expedition.
- El Paso del Norte was renamed Ciudad Juarez in honor of President Benito Juarez. The name El Paso was left to the city just north of the border on the western tip of Texas.
- Texas City was incorporated.
- Samuel T. Rayburn of Texas was elected Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. He served for 17 years.
More facts about Texas
|There's a vastness here and I believe that the people who are born here breathe that vastness into their soul. They dream big dreams and think big thoughts, because there is nothing to hem them in.|
- Conrad Hilton
Like this topic here!
Tomorrow in Texas History.